FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oshawa, ON (November 13, 2017) – The top 25 entrepreneurs gave their best three-minute pitch in front of the Power Panel at the annual Ignite Durham pitch competition. The Student category winner was chosen and was awarded $5,000 to help grow their start-up.
The competition was held at Durham College’s Centre for Food and accompanied delicious food by Bistro ’67 – the campus’ teaching-inspired restaurant.
This year’s Student Category winner, Ominous Games was announced during the Round 2 installation of the competition.
Ominous Games is a small studio based in Whitby, Ontario and was founded by a student team from UOIT in 2015. Ominous Games is currently developing their first commercial title, Spirit, and the team of three is very excited to share this with the community.
The Ignite journey continued as we narrowed down the additional two categories: Scale-Up and Discovery to their finalists. Wish Me Inc., MeetScribe took the Discovery category while Healthy Pets, and FleetOps took the Scale-Up category. All teams will pitch it out on November 29th in the final Ignite Boardroom Competition to be held at the Whitby Council of Chambers.
Tickets for the Boardroom competition (November 29th) and the Ignite Showcase (December 5th) are available for purchase at www.ignitedurham.ca.
About Spark Centre: Spark Commercialization and Innovation Centre is one of eighteen not-for-profit Regional Innovation Centres (RICs) that form part of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE). The centre works to improve competitiveness and visibility of Durham Region and Northumberland County as a world-class innovation cluster. For more information on Spark Centre, please visit www.sparkcentre.org.
– 30 –
For more information:
Communications and Design Associate, Spark Innovation Centre
Sound Options Tinnitus Treatments
by Michael Chrostowski – Sound Options Tinnitus Treatments, Spark Centre Client
Sound Options Tinnitus Treatments provides a novel tinnitus therapy that is effective and affordable. Tinnitus sufferers number in the tens of millions globally, with over 16 million North Americans seeking treatment for persistent tinnitus that disrupts their quality of life, work and even sleep. While there is growing demand for tinnitus treatments, many types of treatments currently on the market are neither affordable nor validated. We offer a clinically-tested sound therapy that is an effective and convenient tinnitus management option. Our customers obtain the treatment from one of over 250 hearing clinics across Canada and the US and can listen to it on their own music-playing device. Over 7 years of research went into understanding how to develop the software that can produce this sound therapy. Cutting edge neuroscience expertise coupled with advanced software engineering form the foundation of our products.
During the last year, Sound Options has entered the US market and has partnered with forward-thinking hearing clinic groups such as Hearing Health USA (over 100 clinics) to promote tinnitus treatments to patients who may not otherwise have any options. Sound Options is also now available in many ListenUP! Canada and HearingLife Canada (Canada’s largest group of hearing centres). This has provided even more access to tinnitus therapies in many parts of Canada.
In 2018, Sound Options will be developing new tinnitus management tools that will build on the success of our sound therapy and enable tinnitus sufferers to not only deal with the tinnitus sound but also the emotion-driven responses to the condition. We will be developing these tools and products with the help of hearing healthcare professionals and counsellors and will look to provide them throughout our growing network of providers in North America. At the same time, Sound Options will look to expand its partnership network to hearing clinics in the Western United States. Overall it is an exciting time with lots of growth for our company and a team with a passionate drive to help as many tinnitus sufferers as possible.
For more information please visit http://soundoptions.ca
The team at Make Your Mark Enterprises Ltd. is excited to be a new client of the Spark Centre! We have had a warm welcome into our office space and have already begun a fantastic relationship with our business mentors and advisors. To help you get to know us better, we wanted to share some more information about who we are and some of the upcoming projects we are currently working on.
Make Your Mark Enterprises Ltd. was founded by Katie Zeppieri and is the parent company of three social enterprises: GIRL TALK Empowerment, The Pink Box, and MYM Event Management.
1) GIRL TALK Empowerment inspires, empowers and mobilizes girls to become world-changers, reaching thousands of girls across Canada and the U.S. We provide life-changing experiences, a multi-platform support network and leadership opportunities that give girls the tools they need to make their mark on the world. GIRL TALK Day is the signature event of GIRL TALK Empowerment and is the genesis of our entire movement that feeds all other initiatives throughout the year. It is a one-day pep rally that brings together over 1,000 girls ages 11-18 from across Southern Ontario for a day of musical performances, motivational speakers and inspiring media.
2) The Pink Box provides girls and women with beauty and lifestyle products that not only make them look good and feel good, but also DO good. Each product in The Pink Box meets at least one part of our P.I.N.K. acronym: Positive, Inspiring, Noteworthy, and Kind. $1 from each box sold is donated to charity.
3) MYM Event Management creates events and guest experiences that have a charitable component and that make a positive impact. Our services offered include: event-planning, public relations, and staffing.
- #TDGivetoGrow Program: We are excited to share that we have been selected as one of 16 organizations from across Canada to participate in a 5-month partnership with TD Bank. Over the course of these next few months, we will be assigned a team of 7-8 Senior TD Managers from across North America who will be working with us to help develop a strategic growth plan for our social enterprise.
- GIRL TALK Empowerment: We are currently recruiting schools from across Canada to join our free GIRL TALK School Chapter program that consists of 25+ Chapters from across Ontario as well as one Chapter in Uganda. Throughout the year we provide resources to help empower our School Chapters to host events, initiatives, and campaigns that improve the mental and physical health of all females in their sphere of influence. If you are interested in starting a Chapter at your elementary or high school, you can fill out our online form to get the process started.
- The Pink Box: is relaunching this holiday season BIGGER. BETTER. PINKER. We are putting together the final touches on our Holiday edition which includes eight full-size beauty and lifestyle items that empower. Our Holiday Pink Box will ship on December 4, 2017 and pre-orders begin in November. You can sign-up for our newsletter to stay up to date on our launch and access our pre-order special offer.
- MYM Event Management: We have been contracted as the Event Manager for the upcoming Ignite Gala taking place on Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at the UOIT Charles St. location. Join us for an exciting evening celebrating entrepreneurship and innovation in the Durham Region! John Ruffolo from OMERS will be the keynote speaker and we will also be announcing the Ignite 2017 pitch winners. You can learn more and purchase tickets on the Eventbrite page.